Thursday 24 December 2009

Merry Christmas -- and a Happy New Decade!


Hello,

Just a quick note to wish you a great Christmas and Happy New Year.  

I'm taking a little break over Christmas but not everything can stop: I'm still meeting with some local constituents, but my main goal is to draft my manifesto.  Thank you for everything you have contributed to it: I've learnt a lot from listening to local people, hearing your views and bringing them together with my own ideas and beliefs.  I look forward to sharing it with you in January.  I'm looking forward to the beginning of 2010 -- it's going to be really busy on the campaign!

At this time of year, as well as celebrating, some of my thoughts inevitably turn to those who have less or are living in difficult situations.  Having volunteered at a Luton homeless centre over Christmas before, I've met a few of the people who find this time of year a lot tougher.  Boxing Day five years ago will be etched in my mind forever: I was two weeks into my new job at Save the Children (which at the time was coordinating worldwide communications in disasters) when the tsunami hit Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and beyond.  Christmas and New Year turned into working round the clock to get information out about what was happening, raise urgently needed funds, and help tens of thousands of families.

I'm looking forward to a calmer end to this year.  I wish you and your family a great break.  Looking forward to the new decade : a time for some new ideas I think.

Best wishes,

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment