Wednesday 23 September 2009

Five-Star Better Politics Pledge


One of the reasons I'm standing is because I think we deserve better from our MP.  Everyone's been up in arms about Margaret Moran, but none of the other candidates have made any cast-iron guarantees they would hold themselves to a higher standard.

So... today I'm launching a Five-Star Better Politics Pledge.  Basically, it's common-sense: I will be available to constituents and work hard for them, I'll be open and honest, I won't have a second home (we're only 35 minutes on the train from London!) and I won't claim unreasonable expenses.  See the full pledge here.

Today I've written to all the other candidates (Esther, the Tory Huddleston, Qurban Hussain for the Lib Dems, no Labour candidate yet) asking them to sign up to it as well.  This is meant to be something positive and constructive, to begin to win back people's trust in politics.  Let's see if the other contenders sign up -- or they'll need a good reason why not!

I'd love to know what you think of the Better Politics Pledge.  Do you agree with it?  Could it be improved?  Email me at joe@joehallforluton.com

Best,

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment