Tuesday 20 October 2009

First candidate to publish campaign expenses and contributions

With all the continuing revelations about MPs' expenses, you would think it would be publicly transparent what each of your candidates for MP is spending on their campaign, right?  It would be easy to find on their websites, right?

Unfortunately not.

I believe we need to do things better.  The people of Luton South need to be reassured that their next MP will be much more open, honest and accountable -- and that's about more than talking about it, you've got to actually do it.

So I've published my first month's campaign expenses: please click here to see them.

You'll see it's modest stuff so far as I don't have the big money of Esther or a political party.  I had my Better Politics Pledge printed up large for an article in the local paper. And a couple of train tickets for volunteers -- I have two politics students based in London helping me with policy research as I don't have a party machine behind me (I tried the university here first, but unfortunately they don't do politics).

Think the other candidates should be publishing their expenses too?  Have any questions about mine? Please email me at joe@joehallforluton.com  And if you're interested in contributing to my campaign, please click here to donate -- even a few pounds is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment